In business, leadership at every level is a requisite for company survival. Yet the leadership pipeline ?the internal strategy to grow leaders ? in many companies is dry or nonexistent. Drawing on their experiences at many Fortune 500 companies, the authors show how organizations can develop leadership at every level by identifying future leaders, assessing their corporate confidence, planning their development, and measuring their results.
New to this edition is 65 pages of new material to update the model, share new stories and add new advice based on the ten more years of experience. The authors have also added a "Frequently Asked Questions" section to the end of each chapter.
1. Six Leadership Passages: An Overview.
2. From Managing Self to Managing Others.
3. From Managing Others to Managing Managers.
4. From Managing Managers to Functional Manager.
5. From Functional Manager to Business Manager.
6. From Business Manager to Group Manager.
7. From Group Manager to Enterprise Manager.
8. Diagnostics: Identifying Pipeline Problems and Possibilities.
9. Performance Improvement: Clarifying Roles and Creating Performance Standards.
10. Succession Planning.
11. Identifying Potential Pipeline Failures.
12. The Functional Career Passage.
14. Benefits Up and Down the Line.
About the Authors.
Ram Charan is an advisor to many of the world's top CEOs and corporate directors. He is author or coauthor of sixteen books including the New York Times bestseller Execution. He has also taught at Wharton, the Kellogg School of Management, and GE's Leadership Center. He has degrees from Harvard Business School.
Stephen Drotter is CEO of Drotter Human Resources, a global network that specializes in CEO succession; executive assessment, selection, and development; and corporate-level organization design. He was one of the original designers of GE's succession planning process and ran Human Resources at INA Corporation and Chase Manhattan. He has a degree in economics from Amherst College.
Jim Noel is a retired consultant and leadership coach who assisted companies in the selection, assessment, and development of key leadership teams. He is a former manager of Executive Education and Leadership Effectiveness at GE.