Do Your Best is a set of activities that demonstrates the key principles of setting direction in an organization, group, or team. The short, five-to-fifteen minute activities provide an active, stimulating means of uncovering the crucial principles of setting mission, vision, and goals.
Do Your Best contains three modules -- one for mission, one for vision, and one for goal setting. Each module contains six to seven activities in which participants use acrylic blocks to build walls.
The facilitator can use any or all of the activities depending on time constraints and the particular needs for the training group. Each activity demonstrates a different direction-setting principle and can be run independently of the other activities. Each module, taken as a whole, builds to the point of having participants craft their own direction piece (vision, mission, or set of goals).
How It Works
The original Do Your Best exercise was developed as an experiential means of teaching well-researched goal-setting principles. The intent was to give participants a hands-on experience that was involving and fun yet demonstrated how goals should be set. The same involving aspects of Do Your Best that make it appropriate for teaching goal setting also make it appropriate for teaching mission and vision construction. Participants discover the principles through participation in activities rather than through lecture using the three activity modules included in the Do Your Best game.
- Mission Module: Contains five activities, each demonstrating one of the five mission principles, plus one final activity that involves the group writing its own mission.
- Vision Module: Contains five activities, each demonstrating one of the five vision principles, plus one final activity that involves the group writing its own vision.
- Goal Setting Module: Contains six activities, each demonstrating one of the six goal-setting principles, plus one final activity that involves the group setting its own goals.
Each Do Your Best kit contains:
- Convenient 3-ring binder
- Reproducible participant materials for vision, mission, and goal-setting sections
- Complete facilitator guide
- Transparency masters: tear-out pages from the back of the facilitator set that you can copy to create your own overhead materials
- 4 boxes of 30 acrylic blocks
- 12 laminated "Instructions" sheets
- Heavy-duty HRDQ tote bag
Extra Game Packs, order one per team, which includes:
- 1 box of 30 acrylic blocks
- 3 laminated "Instructions" sheets