Mental Models: The Key to Making Reality-Based Decisions
Each one of us has a perception of reality about how the world works -- a mental model. Like an internal hard drive, they provide understanding, guide thinking, and direct decision making. Built from everyday experiences, outside influences, and rewards such as money and success, mental models can be both beneficial and detrimental to success. Just as technology shifts and advances, so does the need for individuals, teams, and organizations to update, flex, and reconstruct mental models to improve performance.
An excellent starting point is to create awareness. This training shows the people in your organization how to examine their mental models, separate fact from opinion, clarify assumptions, and reveal hidden beliefs. Using interactive exercises and activities, this learning experience illustrates the need to tune into one's surroundings, look for opportunities, and approach work with an open mind.
- Understand what mental models are and how they influence the workplace
- Identify one's personal mental model
- Recognize the mental model assumptions
- Reveal hidden mental model biases
- Learn how to avoid typical mental mistakes
- Develop the ability to adjust mental models for better performance
- What Is a Mental Model?
- Mental Models in the Workplace
- Assessing the Accuracy of Your Mental Models
- Changing Inaccurate Mental Models
- How to Use Mental Models to Increase Performance and Minimize Mistakes
- 4 hours / Half Day
- Includes Instructor Guide, Participant Guide, PowerPoint presentation, Course Overview, Learning Summary, and Course Evaluation
- Also Included: Action Plan, Group Activities, Identify Your Mental Models, and Identify Your Mental Mistakes
- Approx. 45 minutes
- Includes PowerPoint presentation
- Also Included: Quizzes and Case Study