Benchmarks of Team Excellence
by Jesse Stoner
Get the tool that measures a higher level of team functioning. Benchmarks of Team Excellence reveals important information about the experience and attitudes of those who know the team best - the team members.
By combining individual scores with the team’s scores, participants get a portrait of their team's overall level of performance in each of the six excellence indicators. Interpretative information provides insight into the ranges and scores. With analysis, discussion, and action planning questions, participants then reflect on and discuss the team’s functioning and how it can improve.
The Six Indicators of Excellence
- Alignment - a deep sense of vision or purpose that is shared among team members.
- Team Effectiveness - strong internal processes that allow coordinated efforts, such as shared values, trust, open communication, flexibility, and decision making.
- Empowerment - feeling empowered to do what is necessary; personal and collective power.
- Passion - high and sustained levels of energy, enthusiasm, excitement, and confidence.
- Commitment - deep commitment to the purpose of the team and to each other.
- Results - accomplishing outstanding results based on high standards.
Uses and Applications
Benchmarks of Team Excellence makes an effective stand-alone training session. It is also easily incorporated into a larger training program. The assessment has been used by a wide variety of organizations for team building and team leadership training, as well as in programs to teach the concepts of excellent organizational practices, characteristics of high-performance teams, and group dynamics.
- Measure the extent to which teams possess the six indicators of excellence
- Compare a team's performance with other excellent and high-performing teams
- Determine action steps to help teams move farther and faster along the journey toward excellence
Benchmarks of Team Excellence was developed as part of an extensive research project that investigated the relationship between various leadership behaviors (visionary leadership behaviors and good management practices) and the level of excellence in the manager's team. A thorough review and synthesis of the literature revealed six indicators of excellent work units: alignment, team effectiveness, empowerment, passion, commitment, and results.
Facilitator guide includes:
- Administrative guidelines
- Theoretical background
- Descriptions of the six indicators
- Interpretive information
- Technical development information including reliability, validity, and more
Participant guide includes:
- 36-item assessment
- Pressure-sensitive scoring form
- Description of the six indicators of excellence
- Charts for recording results
- Interpretive information
- Analysis questions
- Discussion questions
- Action planning
Assessment and workshopTime Required
What to Order
Order one facilitator guide per trainer and one participant guide per participant. Facilitator support materials will be available to you as a digital download link in your order confirmation.
Additional Information for Benchmarks of Team Excellence:
Jesse Lyn Stoner
is a business consultant, coach, former executive, and bestselling author who has worked closely with leaders for over 25 years, helping them create collaborative, engaged workplaces that make a powerful and positive impact on the world. Her clients range from international corporations to small business, government and non-profits, and include Edelman, Marriott, SAP, Stanley, Skanska, The Hartford, and Yale University to name a few.
Ms. Stoner supports leaders in clarifying their vision and the strategies to achieve it, developing collaborative leadership skills and building high performance teams. She has facilitated collaborative change efforts in companies such as Honda, Jackson Hole Ski Resort, Stop and Shop, and TJX (T.J. Maxx and Marshalls), and T. K. Maxx (Europe).
As the executive director of Guest House Retreat and Conference Center, she oversaw its opening and was responsible for hiring staff, setting up operations and financial systems, and developing the marketing plan.
Ms. Stoner is co-author, with Ken Blanchard, of the international bestseller "Full Steam Ahead: Unleash the Power of Vision," which has been translated into 21 languages, She is also co-author with Ken Blanchard et.al. of "Leading at a Higher Level." Additionally, she created many of the Blanchard Company's training materials in team leadership and organization development, and she has authored several team and organizational assessments, including the popular "Benchmarks of Team Excellence" (published by HRDQ).
Ms. Stoner holds advanced degrees in psychology and a doctorate in organizational development. She serves on the board of several organizations, including the Berrett-Koehler Author's Cooperative. Her weekly blog is ranked as one of the top 100 leadership blogs and can be found at www.jessestoner.com