How It Works
The Negotiating Style Profile self-assessment presents individuals with 30 statements. Their task is to choose one of seven possible responses, ranging from "Completely Characteristic" to "Completely Uncharacteristic." Scores reveal a preference for one of five negotiation styles: defeating, accommodating, collaborating, withdrawing, or compromising.
The Negotiating Style Profile also offers a 180 degree feedback component that enables individuals to see how they are perceived by their peers. Combining the results of the self-assessment and the feedback provides individuals with an in-depth understanding of their natural tendencies as well as a starting point for improvement. Both pieces take approximately 20 minutes to complete, and we recommend you allow approximately one hour for the interpretation of results, debrief, and goal setting.
The Negotiating Style Profile Facilitator Set includes tools to lead a one-and-a-half hour classroom training workshop, including comprehensive background information, step-by-step instructions, optional activities, alternative training options, a reproducible article, and a professional Microsoft PowerPoint presentation. Trainer certification is not required to administer or facilitate the Negotiating Style Profile.
Uses and Applications
The Negotiating Style Profile can be used as a standalone learning instrument or part of a more comprehensive curriculum on topics such as negotiating, selling, communication, and conflict resolution. It's an excellent starting point to help individuals:
- Gain awareness of their current negotiating behavior.
- Prepare for an upcoming negotiation.
- Improve the planning and communication skills needed to be an effective negotiator.
- Practice negotiating with people who have different negotiation styles.
- Improve reasoning skills.
The Negotiating Style Profile is suitable for all individuals, especially supervisors, customer service representatives, managers, sales professionals, negotiators, and consultants.
- Learn five negotiating styles
- Identify personal negotiating style
- Discover why a win-win approach is most effective
- Learn how one's negotiation style is perceived by others
- Develop an action plan to improve negotiation style strengths
The Negotiating Style Profile has been a trainer favorite for more than 30 years. It's an excellent starting point for anyone in your organization, from front-line employees to management team members and everyone in between.